Friday, September 29, 2023

The Discipline of Schedule: Maintaining its Reality

After high school graduation in 1996, I entered into candidacy with the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles.  This offered a schedule that gradually introduced me into community life with a proposal towards application in aspirancy for entrance into Religious formation as a postulant in the novitiate.  This schedule involved a rising at 4:55 a.m. to begin Morning Offering and Liturgy of the Hours at 5:25 a.m.  And I found my day being formed from this decision of discipline at the moment of rising.

The Schedule: 

4:55 a.m. Rising

5:25 a.m. Morning Offering, Liturgy of the Hours, Meditation

7:00 a.m. Holy Mass

7:50 a.m. Breakfast, Dishes, Clean up

9:00 a.m. Morning Announcements, Blessings with Novice Directress

9:30 a.m. Classes, Duties, Study

11:55 a.m.  Examination of Conscience for the morning, Angelus Prayer

12:00 p.m. Lunch, Dishes, Clean up

1:15 p.m. Siesta, Quiet Time, Study in Cell

2:15 p.m. Classes, Duties, Study

5:00 p.m. Holy Hour, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, Meditation, Benediction

6:15 p.m. Dinner, Dishes, Clean up

7:15 p.m. Recreation in Community (Example:  Crafts, Exercise, Choir Practice, etc.)

8:15 p.m.  Night Blessing, Liturgy of the Hours, Examination of Conscience of the Day

10:00 p.m. Grand Silence, Lights out

*Duties and Assignments entailed:  Kitchen Preparations, Meals, Retreatant and Sisters and Guest Clergy, Refectory and Retreatant Dining Area Clean and Organize, Sacristy, Chapel, Office, Novitiate Facilities, Novitiate Laundry, Maintenance of Retreatant Quarters, Gardening etc.

*Example of Examination of Conscience:  Did I complete the tasks of this day?  Was I tardy for class or scheduled meetings?  What caused this fault, if any?  Did my work slack at scheduled responsibilities?  Did I chatter during silence?  Was their gossip during work time?

*Blessing from the Novice Directress communicated an approval of granted permission and a closure of the request being granted. (Example:  Permission to make travel appointment to the dentist, purchase new shoes, etc.)